Host families form part of the bedrock of SAWIP’s summer program in DC and play an integral role in students’ cultural immersion. Residing in the DC area, host families provide accommodation for SAWIP students for the duration of their stay during the summer. Host families are flexible and open-minded, over the age of 30 and represent the diversity of American culture. Are families are varied in economic, religious and racial backgrounds and include working parents, empty nesters and single parents.
What is expected of a host family?
- Offer a safe and welcoming environment for students to reside
- Agree to have a bed/bedroom and food available
- Have access to public transportation
- Treat their SAWIP student like a member of the family, which includes household rules, responsibilities and privileges
- Engage with other host families and students during the summer when possible
What are the benefit of hosting student?
- Introduce your family to a new culture
- Support diversity and cross-cultural understanding in your home
- Increase cultural awareness in your community
- Create an international friendship that lasts a lifetime
For more information, please contact Cheri-Leigh Erasmus: email@example.com
For more information, please contact Chéri-Leigh Erasmus
SAWIP needs your support
The South Africa-Washington International Program is helping to inspire, prepare and support South African youth to lead a sustainable democracy with a peaceful and prosperous future for all its citizens.